Sukup Auto Guide Guidance System operating tips.
Auto Guide Set-Up Tips
See Auto Guide owner's manual for complete information and safety precautions.
- Use correct pins for tractor (Cat. II - 1 1/8", or Cat. III - 1 7/16")
- Place sway blocks in upper position so unit has a minimum of 4" travel at sway
blocks when in working position (consult tractor owner's manual for proper operation of
- Control box must have 12V to operate properly.
- Check tractor owner's manual for hydraulic hook-up.
- Pressure hose hooks to P1.
- Return hose on closed center systems hooks to R2.
- Return hose on open center or variable pressure variable flow hooks in R1.
- On John Deere tractors when using "power beyond", a load sensing circuit must
be used. Consult tractor owner's manual.
- Set flow control on tractor to lowest setting which still lets hitch move smoothly from
side to side (Auto Guide system requires less than 2 GPM).
- Set control box to manual. Dial manual knob left and right. Does hitch travel equally
both directions? Dial manual knob to 0. Does hitch center? If not, refer to owner's
manual, Hitch Calibration section. Hitch should take 6 to 7 seconds to make full travel
from one side to the other. If not, see Hydraulic Operations section of manual to set
- For field operation, set knobs and switches as follows:
- Manual/Automatic switch should be set to Automatic. May switch to manual if unacceptable
rows are available for sensing. Hitch will then run centered.
- Manual knob should be set to 0. This causes hitch to center when unit is raised.
- Sensitivity knob should be set to a minimum of 5 on straight rows and set closer to 10
with more contours or with higher variability during driving.
- Monitoring Wands/Monitoring Hitch switch should be set to Monitoring Hitch. This will
show you position of hitch. Steering towards the needle will help keep the tractor
centered between rows. If needle should suddenly jump clear to one side, wands have
probably lost the row and may need to be reset.
- Tracking Adjustment knob may be used to cheat guidance system slightly off-center if
desired. For most applications Tracking Adjustment knob should be set to 0.
- Time Delay setting on top of box can be adjusted to delay the time which elapses between
when the mercury switch tells the hitch to change from manual to automatic and when the
control box actually makes the change. This is useful when using a planter or other device
where there may not be a sufficient mark to sense at end of row. For most applications,
Time Delay should be set towards minus side.
- Make sure wand box is directly over row for one-row sensing and centered between rows
for two-row sensing.
- Use one-row sensing for crops under 15" in height, and two-row sensing for larger
- On one-row sensing, set tips of wands at approximately 1" apart. Have front of
wands approximately 1" higher than rear tips. Wand tips should be just 1" off
the ground as the cultivator is moving through the field. Dragging the tips on the ground
will give an inaccurate reading.
- On two-row sensing, set tips of wands approximately 1/4" less than row width. Have
front of wands 1" higher than rear tips. To get an accurate reading, wand tips should
be just 1" off the ground as the cultivator is moving through the field.
- Attach the mercury switch to the top link arm as shown in the owner's manual. Adjust
angle so unit switches from automatic to manual when 3-point is raised halfway.
Note: Store guidance system and wand box in a dry location. Lubricate every 10 hours of